Thursday, March 7, 2013

sigh.

I planned this super awesome lesson for my grade 8 ESL class yesterday. We had spent the whole week working on the Present Simple Tense- my kids were finally starting to understand that we use this tense to explain routine (...every morning, I wash my hair), or states/condition (I am happy).

To give them a break from boring lessons, I wanted to give them a chance to work on something creative. I planned to have them create and write a postcard to a friend to tell them about what they are doing on a made up trip- this was going to be a great way to make sure they had a firm grasp on the routine part of this grammar lesson. So, I spent about 20 minutes explaining to the kids what a postcard is, what it looks like- how it has a picture of where you are writing from on one side, and a letter from you on the other, why we send them, etc.

After about 20 minutes, my kids were still looking at me like I was an alien, so I knew something was up. I was exhausted from explaining this concept in what felt like a million different ways, but I just couldn't figure out what the problem was. I even drew a postcard of my own and showed them again what it should look like. I asked again if anyone had any questions, and a boy in the back said, "Miss, we don't understand." Well, duh. I got that part.

So, me, being a silly girl to assume anything, thought they knew the vocabulary word vacation. I said, "Well, think about a vacation. Like a trip, you know?" Still...  nothing. Thirty two sets of eyes staring at me, expressing nothing. Then, it hit me. No one knew the word vacation, because they use British English here... they call it HOLIDAY. As soon as I said holiday, they all went, "oooooohhhhh" in unison.

Then, I proceeded to ask how many of them had been on a holiday or a trip before? And two raised their hands. And then I knew that my lesson was nothing short of a total bomb.

Thank you, Friday, for coming today.

2 comments:

  1. Not a total bomb at all. There's the difference between British English, which the kids probably know better, and American English. Plus, a lesson is only a bomb if no one learns anything. Everyone learned something, including the teacher. Sounds like a success to me. :)
    Mary Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely second what Mary Ellen wrote. And they now know what vacation means! The rule in elementary school- and it should be on up through grades, no matter where/who you are teaching, is "show, don't tell." This applies to students i.e. don't just say "I'm tired." Describe what tired looks like, sounds like, feels like, etc. And bring in whatever props you can, as their teacher, to show not tell. Make it all as concrete as possible. What you learned is invaluable, Jessie. Not a bomb at all- you just need to "monitor and adjust," as they say. Monitor their comprehension and adjust your teaching. And you are. Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete